Heat Shrinkable Roll Covers of Fluoropolymers
Edlon - Fluoropolymers
EDLON’s Roll Covers have been used in paper mills worldwide since 1964. They are also used in converting, textile mills, and food processing. Hundreds of machines use our roll covers in a variety of grades and applications.
Paper rolls in wet press sections (blow roll, fly roll, pick-up roll) often have fiber build up, which can mark or damage the sheets. An EDLON roll cover will reduce or eliminate build-up and the time involved in cleaning these rolls.
The roll cover can be applied over steel, aluminum, fiberglass, composite, or rubber covered rolls. EDLON’s proprietary seaming equipment produces a nearly undetectable weld of the sleeve. The seam weld strength is equal to that of the virgin material.
EDLON covers can be provided for metal, rubber, or fiberglass rolls - straight, crowned, bowed, groove, or wormed rolls.
EDLON manufactures roll covers to exact roll dimensions:
- 1” to 15 ft diameter
- Lengths up to 40 feet
- Standard thickness .020” and .060”
- Custom thickness .030” and .090”
- Roll covers in FEP Teflon® have continuous service temperature of 350°F
EDLON Roll Cover Process Technologies:
- Seaming (proprietary process)
- Expansion (proprietary Process)
- Etching (proprietary process)
- Adhesive Bonding (proprietary Formulas)
- Roll Grinding Process
Build up and fiber picking reduced or eliminated after installing Teflon® roll cover
- Sheet quality is improved
- Dryer temp and production rates can be increased
- Clean up after sheet breaks is greatly reduced
- No corrosion = less roll maintenance
- Improved heat transfer = better moisture profile
- Carrying rolls
- Idler rolls
- Low temp, low pressure, and dry applications
Bondable covers (Suggested when):
- Temperature exceeds 150°F
- Pressure exceeds 7 pounds PLI
- Moisture could wick under the cover
Adhesive Type and Service Conditions:
- 41 Flex - General purpose for roll application
- Rubber, metal, fiberglass rolls
- 250°F and 70PLI max service
- D95 - Dryer applications
- E/L - Nip roll applications
- 350°F and 150 PLI max service
- Must be installed at Edlon facility
Bowed (Spreader) Rolls
Rolls used for spreading sheets following the size press and coating station operate without build up when covered with EDLON’s fluoropolymer cover. Our covers operate without wrinkling or flex fatigue and can be easily installed by mill personnel.
Size Press Lead-in and Lead-out Rolls
Straight, grooved, and wormed rolls used around the size press provide improved performance at a lower cost when installed with an EDLON roll cover. The cover, fabricated in Teflon®, also eliminates sheet edge wear. 250°F max operating temperature.
Accumulation of sizing requires frequent clean-up, by installing the EDLON roll cover the frequency is greatly reduced or even eliminated in some applications.
EDLON® Nip Roll Cost-saving release cover - The Edlon nip roll is a truly integrated fluoropolymer nip roll for laminating and coating converters. The Edlon nip roll offers a lifespan like that of standard rolls while providing the excellent release characteristics of Teflon®. Nip roll wrap-ups and problems associated with edge over-coat are, therefore, eliminated, permitting faster, easier web changes. The high-release characteristic of the Edlon nip roll allows for a substantial reduction in direct labor and in machine downtime costs associated with taping rolls, as well as with the removal of wrap-ups. Roll grinding and replacement costs will also be reduced in many applications.
Edlon roll vs. Silicone rubber covered roll The Edlon fluoropolymer covered nip roll handles sticker materials, such as resin, better than silicone rubber covered rolls. The fluoropolymer covers also handle higher nip pressures (PLI). Most resins used in adhesive coating and laminating applications will release more readily from a fluoropolymer cover than from a silicone rubber covered roll. Benefits The fluoropolymer roll will continue to release longer, especially under higher temperatures. Since the fluoropolymer surface is not affected by conventional solvents, there is no swelling of the roll, and clean up is easy.
Edlon fluoropolymer roll cover benefits:
- Provides excellent release surface
- Unaffected by conventional solvents; no swelling
- Easy clean up
- Completely eliminates tape wrapping of rolls
- Reduces roll grinding and roll changes
- Allows for increased line speed
- Provides faster, easier web width changes
EDLON® Nip Roll Applications:
- Extrusion Laminating
- Reverse Roll Coating
- Direct Gravure Coating
- Adhesive Laminating
- Extrusion Coating
- Hot Idler Rolls
- Offset Gravure Coating
- Drip Coating
- Dry Film Laminating
- 3 Roll Pressure Coating
- 2 Roll Pressure Coating
- 3 Roll Reverse Coating