Settler and mixer-settlers
Settlers and mixer-settlers are classical extraction apparatus for liquid-liquid extractions.
The three sections of mixer-settlers fulfill the following extraction tasks:
- Two liquid phases are intensively mixed in the mixing section.
- Separation of the light and heavy phase takes place in the settler section.
- The heavy aqueous phase and the light organic phase drain through the phase weir, the drain of further process steps or storage vessels.
The phase interface is adjustable through an overflow valve for a hydrodynamic control.
Main Characteristics of Mixer-Settlers
Pfaudler’s mixer-settlers are corrosion resistant because all product parts are exclusively manufactured in PTFE or Borosilicate glass.
For different applications, a tempering jacket for heating or cooling is possible. Due to the special design of Pfaudler’s units, the amount of reference product is required.
The agitator system with a turbine stirrer is used for dispersion with an adjustable gap to optimize the suction efficiency, also for larger mixer-settler systems.
These are equipped with a compact mixer-chamber for efficient and homogenous dispersion and a height adjustable overflow valve.
Settlers and mixer-settler can be delivered in sizes from DN 50 up to DN 600.
The vertical settler in a laboratory scale of 0.5 l – 10 l goes along with a small hold-up, especially for distillation and rectification tops with a small distillate mass flow. The vertical settler is provided with a phase level adjustment of the two liquid phases via a siphon. The inverse phase operation is possible by turning the apparatus.
Corrosion Resistant Materials
All our settler and mixer-settler units are manufactured in borosilicate glass 3.3 and glass-lined material.
Our engineers and technicians work closely with you to troubleshoot your existing process design and install process upgrades.
Technical features / Accessories
- Pfaudler Systems’ mobile (3 stages) and multi-faceted mixer-settler battery was developed and built as a research contract through a technical university for several dissertations;
- Integrated combination made of Borosilicate glass 3.3 with enhanced stability and special advantages for fouling systems, according to separation requirement;
- Integrated single or double weir, as distributor plate for low feed flows;
- Tempering of medium with jacketed apparatus components or immersion heaters.